Monday, February 14, 2011

A Sick Flo Fo All My G's

See we be livin too much just to please the world
I wanna stop but then when all my sin is unfurled,
I feel I gotta do better, y’know I gotta fight harder
I feel like when I run I gotta finish what I started

But then is it all for God, or is it all for me?
Is my obedience born of love, or this old philosophy?
Where you work real hard and you push yourself to death
Then maybe by your own power have some joy in your steps

I gotta say man, it sounds a lot like Galatians
Where they tried to fix their brokenness with the yoke of circumcision
And maybe that’s what flesh is, not just sin and immorality,
But how we always try to use our good for immortality
I wanna do the best I can so God will view me as a man,
And by some act of greatness stand to function as my own I am?

But who am I to justify my sins before a Holy God?
Can any act of righteousness compare to Jesus on the cross
Second Corinthians five and twenty-one
Says that all my sins were placed upon God’s only Son.

But more than that it’s very clear
that all the reasons for my fears
Were drowned by Him who calls me dear
And washes away all my tears

So in Christ we are righteous, and adopted as sons!
Though my heart would try to tell me that my sins mean I’m done!
Done? I’m done with fightin’ God! Without whom I would fall apart,
Like fig leaves in the garden, they don’t cover up my broken heart

Despair, pain, shame and worry,
Runnin by my-self gets blurry
Until I fall from all that hurry
And shout that you alone are worthy!

Oh Jesus bring me back to you
Your cross is what makes me to move
Not my own life of righteousness,
but yours imputed on my sickness
Breaking down these walls I’ve barred up,
Taking all the sin that’s scarred up
Freeing me to do your will,
To breathe repentance at each ill
That you unhinge this sin and pride
And walk me through, till in your Son, I abide.

4 comments:

  1. Oh sick flo fo show. Did you get this from LeCrae or did you write it? If you wrote it i am significantly impressed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude he totally wrote it. This is very tight Sir Edwin. Legit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Edwin, this is AMAZING! Do you mind if I take these lyrics and try to put some chords to them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh for sure Amber, knock yourself out. I heard it as a cheesy rap, but if you can make somethin' cool out of it that would be excellent!

    ReplyDelete